CAMP

March1

I grab my board and race for the water. Getting to big waves took some time, I get there and jump up when the time is right. It is so much fun, hearing the people around me for the glimpse of a second and then. Splash, into the water I go. My mouth fill with salty water. Totally gross. I come to the surface grabbing my board and off I go again, joining back up with Juliet. Splash, I go again, Splash, Splash I wipe-out many times always filling my mouth salt but it feels like it’s filling me with joy. Falling off is the best part. Then suddenly we have to go back to shore.

“Do we have to come in” I groan “I could stay out there until I get hungry”

I start to pull of my wetsuit. It’s so hard and sticky and it makes this peeling kinda sound. It also smells of salt, the salt of joy. I don’t want to take it off and I don’t want to leave the beach.

We walk back to camp and up the stairs, stairs of doom. The stones the rocks the dirt and the sand is not a great combination. And every time you went to the beach you had to go up and down up and down. The only good part was the view. The view was magnificent. The bay was calm just like the day was. Later that day we did the talent contest. The music and the sounds and the talent was amazing. But my group was fantastic. We did a parody to can’t stop the feeling but it was can’t stop the Clinton. We sang and we danced and ended up coming second by half a point. It was the end of such a great day.

“CAMP”

1. March 5th, 2017 at 10:28 pm      Reply antsclass Says:

Lilly- I loved this piece. It brought these moments at camp vividly to life. In particular the way you use different senses to describe your beach experience-the way the salt turns from gross to joyful is a great way to show how much you enjoyed the moment.
    I also loved the 2 sides of the stair experience- it is a powerful technique to highlight one aspect by describing the opposite aspect first- this is called ‘juxtaposition’.
    Wonderful work Lilly!
    Ant

2. March 6th, 2017 at 6:04 pm      Reply sofiama2016 Says:

Cool post about Camp. I liked how you only focused on 1 thing. I found that i felt the same way you did when we had to stop surfing. I loved it too. You really deserved that second place too.

3. March 8th, 2017 at 7:26 pm      Reply annac2014 Says:

Hi Lily, I just read your piece of work and thought it was humorous and relatable. I laughed at the bit when you said the stars of doom next to beach. Me and Stella counted all of the steps and we saw 128 steps. It was like a workout 3 or 4 times a day. I’m sure everyone wanted to keep surfing for the whole day. We all enjoyed your performance ‘ can’t stop the Clinton’ . Especially the bit were you sang we are getting the popcorn and burritos. I don’t know if that was fully correct.
    Lovely piece of writing.
    Anna.